Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why do we homeschool?

I recently came across a speech given by Erica Goldson, 2010 valedictorian of Coxsackie-Athens High School. It is DEFINITELY worth the read: valedictorian speech

While this entire speech is amazing, the part that stuck out  the most to me is this:

"...John Taylor Gatto, a retired school teacher and activist critical of compulsory schooling, asserts, 'We could encourage the best qualities of youthfulness – curiosity, adventure, resilience, the capacity for surprising insight simply by being more flexible about time, texts, and tests, by introducing kids into truly competent adults, and by giving each student what autonomy he or she needs in order to take a risk every now and then. But we don't do that.' Between these cinderblock walls, we are all expected to be the same. We are trained to ace every standardized test, and those who deviate and see light through a different lens are worthless to the scheme of public education, and therefore viewed with contempt..." 

Well said Erica (and John)!

Every time I tell people we are homeschooling our children, everyone always asks why. I get nervous and find it hard to convey my feelings and reasoning, which I am sure can sometimes come across like I haven't thoroughly researched this. I have always been a lot better at conveying my feelings through writing so here it goes!

I hate that every student is expected to fit into some mold. They are expected to learn the same things at the same pace in the same way as all of the other children across every school district. Blah blah blah blah blah! How MUNDANE! Do we really expect completely different children to learn in the same way? What happens to the child that marches to the beat of his (or her) own drum? What happens to the visual learner who is being taught strictly from textbooks? The bodily learner forced to sit in a chair all day long while learning, when what they really need is an active (literally) education?

This is why homeschooling is so very important to me. My husband, admittedly, is just along for the ride, letting me "test" this out. His philosophy is if it works, it works, and if not we can pursue other avenues of education. But I am determined to make this work for us. I don't want my children to learn from a cookie cutter approach because they are not cookie cutter children. I want them to learn at their own pace, even if it is slower or faster than other children their age.  I don't want my children to slip through the cracks of the school system because they are slower learners than the average student or bored with easy work because they are ahead of the other children. As a homeschooler I can compile a curriculum with an assortment of teaching materials that I know my children will love, which will create a much better learning environment. 

I want them to learn in a smaller atmosphere where the focus is on them, not what the average child can or can not do. I want my children to receive an education tailored to their needs, capabilities, and personalities from a dedicated teacher. Who can be more dedicated to their child than a parent?

The lifestyle advantages of homeschoolers are unmatched! Because of the lower student to teacher ratio and the ability to teach in a way your child understands, actual schooling takes up way less time. There is also the fact that homeschooling is not based on a rigid schedule with bells signaling the end of one class and the beginning of another. You can teach whatever time of day works best for you! If your child needs extra help with one subject and less time in another, what bell is going to tell you that it will have to wait until tomorrow?

Because my children won't have to live under the social or scheduled pressure you find in "regular" schools, they will naturally learn how to be more independent. They will learn how to make decisions by themselves instead of caving to peer pressure or facing ridicule. Parents and family will be their primary source of influence. 

If I want my children to witness history in the making, like President Obama's speech (where he was advising children on the importance of education), I won't have to worry that they can't witness it because some people think he is a wannabe Hitler *insert GIANT eye roll here!*. They will get to experience more with field trips, hands on school work, and life lessons. 

For my children, school will not be just another boring 8 hour day in a class filled to its capacity with children, learning from textbooks on a rigid schedule in a (possibly) unsafe environment. For my children, school will be about life. Their morals and values and education will come from someone who cares about them, with the sole focus of watching them succeed. 

To some people this may seem like we are trying to stifle our children. "What about socialization?" "Why are you trying to shield them from the world?" "Why don't you send your children to real school?"

What people don't realize is homeschooled children are actually able to socialize. They are not locked up in an educational institution all day long. Nor are they locked up at home all day long. They can join a variety of sports teams, youth groups, homeschooling coops, and do volunteer work. They can even *gasp* hang out with friends! However, the most important aspect of socialization is not just about a social life. It is also about developing the necessary social skills that will enable them to interact with people appropriately based on the situation. 

My children will not be shielded from what goes on in the real world. They will be taught things at an age appropriate level at the appropriate time.

Guess what else... school is about educating our children and preparing them for the real world... homeschooling focuses EXACTLY on this! So they are going to a real school.

They don't have to be like the average child in "regular" school. My children will learn that seeking knowledge equal to the average student subjected to standard public school education means they are lacking ambition. 

After such a long post I will leave you with this:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!