Thursday, February 9, 2012

T4L Review

So far we are REALLY loving T4L. This online curriculum offers hundreds of activities for all of elementary school up to 8th grade, in all of the core subjects. Apart from the regular lessons, parents can access worksheets as well as answer keys under the parent login. I *LOVE* the fact that parents can login under a separate section and can access everything the student has done (or not done). I can check to see if Jayden has completed the entire lesson, passed the scored activities, and passed his quizzes/tests.


Here are Jayden's grades.




Anything that is blue that shows incomplete was me. I make Jayden redo certain portions of a class if he doesn't understand something, or I clicked him out because the lesson was way too easy and it was a waste of time. The red shows the one quiz he failed. I was taking a shower and made him take a quiz and he was annoyed because he wanted to play PS3 so he "just clicked anything" according to him. So he had to take the test again and LOST his PS3 privileges for the day. My rules are no score under an 85% in a class/quiz/test is permitted. If he gets something lower than that, he has to retake parts of the lesson and we supplement with extra worksheets on top of the ones we already do. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for Jayden, I can access all of his work and make him redo anything under my acceptable score. Whenever he doesn't understand something, we go over that specific portion of the lesson again.

I love that each lesson is animated and has interactive activities, which break down the work in simple terms. Jayden is learning SO much. I can download detailed daily, weekly or monthly reports. Reports can be broken down by attendance, subject, type (lesson, quiz, test) or viewed altogether. The bottom shows his cumulative scoring. I plan on saving a monthly report (saved as a pdf) and keeping them for the evaluation process we have to start at the end of 1st grade.I love that the student can go at his/her own pace. Jayden is only required to do one lesson per subject a day but sometimes he wants to do 5 lessons in a subject!

The only thing I don't like about this is that you can't use the "assignment" section of the site because it is used by schools only. I would like to set up an assignment for Jayden so that he can know exactly what he has to do. While some lessons have worksheets, not all do. This is easily remedied by Google searches though! You can find worksheets or even make up your own if your child needs extra help.

For us, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I find that this program helps me stay organized, helps Jayden go at his own pace and is lots of fun! We definitely plan on continuing this program.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your pros and cons of T4L:0) We have used it for over 5 years now and I just love it!! The cartoon lessons help!!! Thanks so much for letting me peek into what it would have been like to homeschool from the beginning! Keep up the great posts!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!